About2018-10-11T08:32:07+00:00

WHO ARE WE

The historical connection to traditional London with the comfort and practicality expected of a modern event venue.

The Worshipful Company of Barbers has had a Hall on the edge of the City, in the area of the north-west corner of the Roman Fort of London, since the 1440s. The first hall, built on the present site in 1441, burned down in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The hall was rebuilt and lost again, this time to the Luftwaffe in 1940, along with the rest of the old Barbican.

The current Hall was opened on the 13th May 1969 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

Barber-Surgeons' Hall - Barbers - Stained Glass Window

Barber-Surgeons’ Hall plays host to various Livery events during the year and can also be hired for commercial events.

This discrete yet central livery hall is exclusive and secluded, ideal for events such as conferences, dinners, receptions and other celebrations.

WHY CHOOSE US?

With a series of elegant interconnecting rooms filled with warmth and natural light, Barber-Surgeons’ Hall is ideally suited to a variety of events. We will help you bring your event to life with beautiful spaces, delicious food and exemplary service.

Top-class on-site catering with superb food & wine
Versatile and historical function spaces
Dedicated event managers and experienced service staff
Central location and excellent transportation links
Outside terrace overlooking the Roman remains of London Wall
Good variety of break-out spaces

THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY OF BARBERS

Barber-Surgeons' Hall - Barbers - Stained Glass Window

Barbers’ Company History

The Worshipful Company of Barbers is one of the oldest Livery companies of the City of London, having celebrated its 700th anniversary in 2008. The Monkwell Square based Company is ranked 17th in the order of precedence.

In the Middle Ages monks, who had traditionally cared for the sick and injured in their monasteries, were forbidden from performing surgical procedures by Papal edicts. Their skills were passed down to the barbers they employed to maintain their tonsures, given that skill with a blade was essential for both a barber and a surgeon.

The original members of the Company were barbers who also carried out a range of surgical procedures, from lancing boils to amputating limbs and extracting teeth. In 1540, they joined with the Fellowship of Surgeons, who were battlefield-trained surgeons, to form the Company of Barbers and Surgeons.

About 200 years later, in 1745, the surgeons broke away from the barbers and went on to form what is now the Royal College of Surgeons of England.  The Worshipful Company of Barbers maintains its links with the hairdressing profession through The Hairdressers’ Charity and also retains its links with surgery.

Today, they are a charitable organisation with around half of their membership being surgeons, dentists or other medical practitioners. Their main aim is providing support to charities and institutions involved with medical education.

Barber-Surgeons' Hall - Barbers Crest

Barbers’ Coat of Arms

The Coat of Arms is a combination of the arms of the Barbers’ Company and the badge of the Fellowship of Surgeons (The Fellowship of Surgeons merged with the Barbers’ Company in 1540 to form the Company of Barbers and Surgeons).

  • The Barbers’ crest is an opinicus, part eagle, part lion and part camel, an English heraldic variation of griffin
  • The supporters are collared (with crownds) and chained lynxes
  • The motto is “De Praescientia Dei” (Latin for “From the Foreknowledge of God”) – possibly referring to the uncertain outcomes of the surgeon’s attention which were attributed to God
Barber-Surgeons' Hall - Barbers Physic Garden

Barbers’ Physic Garden

The Barbers’ Garden is one of 10 livery company gardens remaining in the City. It contains the remains of the 13th bastion built by Emperor Hadrian in AD 122 and features around 45 different species of herbs and plants.

The present garden was created in 1987 on a derelict bomb-site to present a broad view of the way in which plants have been used from the earliest times to the present day, in relation to both the practice of medicine and surgery.

The yellow Magnolia tree commemorates the Golden Jubilee of the present Queen, and the other, a winter-flowering cherry, is in memory of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.